This soul-satisfying soup is ideal for a comforting winter’s night. The roasted garlic infuses the earthy mushrooms with an unforgettable depth of flavor.
- 2 heads of garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the top off each head of garlic to expose the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap each head in foil.
- Roast the garlic in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves are soft and lightly browned.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté the mushrooms and onion in olive oil over medium heat until they are tender and lightly browned.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the skins and add them to the pot.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the mushrooms and onions are very tender.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh herbs if desired.
Create this recipe to satisfy up to four people!